Fall 2020 BFA Pieces

 


Dama’s World

Anyone and anything can be ableist: people, objects, buildings, art, academia, the media, and the entertainment industry. Although some public spaces and venues are deemed accessible, some structures of society are ableist, nonetheless. Ableism is the discrimination of and social prejudice against people with disabilities based on the belief that typical abilities are superior. Ableism, just like racism and sexism, classifies entire groups of people as “less than,” and includes harmful stereotypes, misconceptions, and generalizations of people with disabilities. I want to focus on the things I go through as a disabled person.

I will be exploring how I have experienced ableism, both in person and through the consumption of the media. Through my paintings, I want to explore how ableism has affected me and show the viewer what ableism looks like. Able bodied people do not always recognize how they are being ableist, and I hope that through my artwork, they will recognize the different ways one can be ableist. I implement things of myself and experiences into my artwork and discuss topics connected to ableism such as: internalized ableism, lack of accessibility, disabilities being framed as something that’s either tragic or inspirational, and inaccurate representation of disabled people in the media.



“POV: You Don’t Compliment my Shoes”

Acrylic 

24”x36”

2020



”I Shouldn’t Have Watched that Movie”

Mix Media

16“x20”

2020



”Almost There”

Acrylic

14”x14”

2020







Comments

Popular Posts